AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT A HOUSE PARTY, BABY

So Let's Dance.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Everybody fucks up

Even Crush Object© David Bowie fucks up. In this version of Life On Mars? (one of my favorite songs of all time) The LET'S DANCE era Thin White Duke is accompanied by Stevie Ray Vaughan. It's from a bootleg collection called "Dallas Moonlight." Vice Magazine ripped it apart the other day but the idea of a two-disc 29 song bootleg alum like this existing is like something I scrawled on my way out of a wet dream. So I decided I neeeeded to have it.

It is a fascinating fuck-up. There are some spots where it's really cool and interesting. I've always wondered what the world would be like if SRV and Bowie kept collaborating after Let's Dance. Would David have stayed straight Rock/Roll for a while, or at least the sort of pop that he had with Let's Dance?

Maybe no, it seems. This little version of LOM? is deese, but I like it better than some others for some retarded reasons:
  1. Bowie forgets the lyrics. He dee dee dees it. I forget lyrics a lot. Points.
  2. Then they disrupt the recording to "fix" it. No points.
  3. SRV's guitar flourishes make the song rock a little hard, a little more Queen-y. Points.
  4. But sometimes it's indulgent booshit. No points.
It's mostly just goofy and adorable. This is the equivalent of that time that David and I sang dental hygiene-related lyrics to Bang a Gong.

Steal the rest from the internet if you're that curious, but I'm not twisting your arm on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment